Kinesiology tape is made up of fine, breathable, stretchable material, usually cotton or a cotton blend. Since it has elasticity, it does not overly restrict the area of application, and it provides just enough pressure and support to facilitate strength in the muscles and tissues.
This tape adheres to the skin with a medically approved, water and sweat proof adhesive material. It comes in latex-free and hypoallergenic varieties for people who may be allergic to latex. The tape usually stays in place for three or four days even while showering or exercising.
Positive results are reported to be felt within 24 hours for many users of kinesiology tape.
How Does Kinesiology Tape Work?
This method is based on the science of maintaining support to the body while allowing blood and other bodily fluids to move freely through and around the injured muscle. It stabilizes the injured area by lightly adhering to the skin and applying pressure to the tissues the tape is wrapped.
This tape allows the surrounding connective tissue to move along with the body. It allows the free flow of blood and lymphatic fluid to cleanse and heal the inflammation without the use of medications or surgery.
This special tape helps to improve circulation, support muscles, allow the internal injury to heal, and help prevent further muscle injury while still allowing motion.
Who Can Be Helped by Kinesiology Taping?
Everyone from a young athlete with overused or injured muscles to an elderly person with degenerative joint disease can be treated with Kinesiology Taping
- Those whose professions involve hard physical labour and repetitive movements.
- People who sit and work at a desk for long periods every day, or who have sedentary lifestyles.
- Athletes and other physically active people, including cyclists, golfers, joggers, and other exercise enthusiasts or those involved in sports.
- People who suffer the after-effects of bad posture, poor sleeping habits, etc.
- Joint pain sufferers.
- People suffering from joint, muscle, or tendon injuries of any kind, whether due to disease or accidents.
Areas of the body where kinesiology tape is commonly used include:
Benefits of Kinesiology Taping
The benefits of kinesiology taping are to improve circulation, support muscles, foster healing, and help prevent injury or further injury
Main benefits of using this method are:
- It supports endogenous analgesic system: The tape enables the body’s healing mechanisms to work in the recovery process.
- Decrease in Pain: By gently applying pressure, kinesiology tape helps to disrupt and dissipate pain.
- Enhanced Circulation and Decreased Inflammation: The tape can help remove congestion while allowing efficient circulation of oxygenated blood and lymphatic fluids. Circulation flushes out irritants, thereby reducing inflammation and chemical buildup and fostering a speedy recovery.
- Improved Posture and Muscle Support system: Taping areas that veer away from correct posture can help gently support proper posture. Proper taping also enables weak muscles to function efficiently, reduces pain and fatigue, and protects against cramping, over-extension, and over-contraction.
- Enhanced Athletic Performance: By supporting unstable joints and delivering slight pressure to “sleeping” muscles, taping can prompt higher performance. Unlike other assistive devices that can lead to dependence on them for stability and support, kinesiology tape trains the body to become independent and efficient.